From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] a question about emerge --sync
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 16:19:32
1 140801 behrouz khosravi wrote:
2 > I have a little bandwidth problem.
3 > I don't want to update my packages very frequently.
4 > Is it save to sync my portage not very often, say every month or two,
5 > so when I install something I wont be warned
6 > that some of my packages are outdated?
7
8 Every month sb ok : I update my desktop machine once/week,
9 but my netbook only perhaps once/year.
10 However, the packages with big downloads -- eg LibreOffice --
11 tend to update less often, so it won't make a big difference.
12
13 > In this manner I wont need to mask my packages,
14 > to prevent them from updating, right ?
15
16 I've been using Gentoo since 2003 & have never done 'emerge world'
17 without the '-p' flag. I do 'eix-sync' & make a list of updates,
18 then emerge them individually, & I've never got into a mess.
19 Sometimes, if someone does a big 'emerge world' after a long delay,
20 there cb difficult upgrades which require special treatment
21 & s/he can get into a tangle without any obvious way out.
22
23 For some items -- again eg LO -- you don't need to do every update :
24 I'm using 4.2.0.4 (Portage stable 4.2.5.2) & won't update till 4.3.x.x .
25 A lot of the changes are minor bug fixes or features I don't use.
29 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
30 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
31 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca