From: Francesco Talamona <ti.liame@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Home page slowness
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 06:33:56
1 On Saturday 10 May 2008, davecode@××××××××××.net wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > We plan to eval Gentoo. We await 2008 final.
5
6 Why? What features are you expecting?
7
8 > The comment is, Gentoo
9 > home page gives no clue about status. Convincing people that Gentoo
10 > is "alive" becomes tricky because the final is months late and little
11 > motion on the home page. That's about all most people inspect.
12
13 You are right, many people take conclusions from superficial looks.
14
15 > So bottom line, impressions of Gentoo are going south even before we
16 > test.
17
18 I don't think we should make Gentoo more appealing, you can attract
19 people that later will dislike its lack of eye-candy, better be
20 honest :-)
21
22 > Some sort of "progress bar" or chart showing bugs squashed and new
23 > reported, maybe?? At least some kind of "ticker" showing "expected
24 > final release date"? Counting lines of code or something?
25 >
26 > Personally I don't care when final ships - just knowing "present
27 > expectations" or status with an easy home page glance is all I ask.
28
29 Unlike other distros, Gentoo evolves linearly, not by leaps (releases).
30 Indeed there's no strong distinction between updates and upgrades, if
31 you keep it up-to-date, already have the latest "release".
32
33 Ciao
34 Francesco
37 Linux Version 2.6.25-gentoo-r2, Compiled #1 PREEMPT Sun May 4 08:26:42
39 One 1GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 2GB RAM, 2004.04 Bogomips Total
40 aemaeth
41 --
42 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list