From: Kevin Hanson <tuxpert@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My Continuing ALSA Woes
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:42:08
1 Mike Williams wrote:
2
3 >On Wednesday 19 October 2005 19:03, Michael Sullivan wrote:
6 >>I'm at a loss as for what to do next. Can anyone help me with this?
10 >Do a clean re-compile of the kernel with anything that might possible be
11 >related to your sound card as modules, especially the mixer and sequencer
12 >stuff. Doing this as a clean compile is important, the symbol version stuff
13 >has possible come about from having things compiled at different times.
14 >
15 >Put /etc/modules.d/alsa back as it was, remove the ALSA_CARDS variable from
16 >make.conf (it's used by the alsa-driver package, so unnecessary for kernel
17 >compiled drivers), and reboot.
18 >
19 >The alsasound init script, and associated tools, are clever, and don't
20 >actually need to be told what card you have (in "simple" circumstances).
24 I noticed the OP is using a 2.6.13 kernel. I have had problems using
25 modules with this kernel where they worked in a 2.6.12 kernel. For
26 example, I could not get agp/dri working when compiled as modules. Once
27 I compiled them in the kernel itself, it worked.
28
29 So, when I couldn't get alsa modules to load after upgrading to 2.6.13
30 kernel, I tried the above trick. That did it for me. When alsa was
31 compiled in kernel, not as modules nor with the alsa-driver ebuild,
32 sound started working.
33
34 I think there is something that changed in 2.6.13 that has affected
35 modules. I haven't researched anymore as my work-around has me happy
36 for now.
37
38 hth,
39 kevin