From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What happened to OpenRC 0.9.6?
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:14:22
1 On Nov 30, 2011 12:51 AM, "Albert W. Hopkins" <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 18:33 +0100, Andrea Conti wrote:
5 > > I was just a little surprised that a system package turned out to be
6 > > completely broken in a scenario that I thought was quite widespread,
7 > > especially among the devs (as rc_parallel results in _very_ tangible
8 > > time savings, especially on a desktop with lots of services and
9 > > frequent
10 > > boots).
11 >
12 > I have desktops and have not seen any noticable difference in startup
13 > times with rc_parallel. The config file even says "slight speed"
14 > improvement, then goes on with a *huge* caveat as if to say "yeah, you
15 > might see a little difference, but it's probably not worth it for most
16 > people".
17 >
18 > Basically I take that to mean, it *may* speed things up slightly for
19 > some people. If it works for you, great for you. If it breaks, you get
20 > to pick up the pieces.
23 On my server boxen, rc_parallel gives a very tangible benefit. The boot
24 time gets cut by roughly half.
25
26 Rgds,