From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: VirtualBox 5.0.14
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 10:48:00
1 On Friday 05 February 2016 15:02:35 walt wrote:
2 > On Fri, 05 Feb 2016 15:59:21 +0000
3 > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > > Since VirtualBox was upgraded from 4.3.32 to 5.0.14 recently, I've
5 > > been getting a little transient notice panel on my KDE4 screen saying
6 > > something like "the virtualbox kernel service is... [not running]".
7 >
8 > I've seen similar messages when the guest is running an older version
9 > of virtualbox guest additions. Is your XP guest still running 4.3.32?
10
11 It may have been. It isn't now though, and I still get the message.
12
13 > > My WinXP guest runs happily in its virtual box, but the Atlas BOINC
14 > > client, which downloads a VirtualBox client to operate in, reports
15 > > communication failure.
16 >
17 > I'm wondering if the problem is only with BOINC. Do you still see the
18 > pop-up notice if you don't even try to run BOINC?
19
20 Yes, it seems not to be related to BOINC. Even so, I decided that recent
21 security changes required me to mount BOINC's partition in the default
22 location /var/lib/boinc instead of under my home directory, where I used to
23 have it before the graphical manager became useful. That's made no
24 difference either.
25
26 > BTW, have you tried this:
27 >
28 > http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Installing_BOINC_on_Gentoo
29
30 No, I hadn't seen that, but reading it prompted me to make the change I
31 describe above.
32
33 > I haven't, but I tried downloading the generic linux BOINC installer
34 > and of course it wanted a gtk library I've never heard of.
35
36 :-)
39 Rgds
40 Peter