From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] changing CHOST
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 03:02:58
1 quoth the Richard Fish:
2 >
3 > BTW, Darren's answer on this thread seems incorrect to me. Changing
4 > CHOST is a pretty significant thing to tweak, certainly as significant
5 > as changing gcc versions, and you really should re-merge *everything*
6 > to make sure your something doesn't wind up broken.
7
8 Hi Richard, sorry I just noticed this (due to your help in a more recent
9 thread where you linked to this). Anyway, my reasoning for my answer was that
10 (although he didn't explicitly state it) Tim wanted to upgrade from i386 to
11 i686 presumably. A binary built for a 386 is still able to run on a 686
12 system. The cpu instructions are forward (but not backward) compatible. Thus,
13 I did not think it necessary for a wholesale rebuild of the entire system on
14 the spot. Indeed it seems this is not as simple as I thought. I may have been
15 thinking changing CHOST was as simple as changing -march or -mcpu...
16
17 I still stand by my assertion that the speed increase will be trivial ;)
18
19 -d
20 --
21 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
22 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
23 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list