From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone using www-apps/jekyll?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:35:22
1 Hi Peter,
2
3 On Wed, Oct 27, 2021, at 09:31, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > On Thursday, 21 October 2021 17:11:27 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 >> Hello list,
6 >>
7 >> I wanted to try this package to create a small site for myself, but I'm
8 >> falling at the second hurdle (the first was setting package.env etc to pull
9 >> in ruby26 as well as the currently installed ruby30).
10 >>
11 >> Does anyone have experience with this builder? I'd like to find out where
12 >> I'm going wrong first.
13 >
14 > I'm still not getting through the installation of jekyll. The website[1] says
15 > to follow the instructions for Ubuntu, but something's lacking. For one thing,
16 > it says to include ~/gems/bin in my PATH, but there isn't one. I looked for
17 > something similar under / but nothing turned up.
18 >
19 > I followed the instructions to install jekyll and its dependencies, then:
20 > $ gem install jekyll bundler
21 > which went fine, but this failed with a bunch of not-found errors, including
22 > jekyll itself:
23 > $ jekyll new myblog
24 >
25 > Am I still missing a component, or something?
26
27 I got jekyll installed via portage by adding:
28
29 dev-ruby/* ~amd64
30 www-apps/jekyll ~amd64
31 www-apps/jekyll-* ~amd64
32
33 to package.accept_keywords, and then running `emerge www-apps/jekyll'. This is on stable, with a tree that is a couple weeks old for what it's worth. Then `jekyll new testsite && bundle exec jekyll serve' works for me.
34
35 You could also try using jekyll outside of portage:
36
37 mkdir mysite && cd mysite
38 bundle init
39 bundle config set path 'vendor/bundle'
40 bundle add jekyll
41 bundle exec jekyll new --force .
42 rm Gemfile.lock
43 rm -rf ./vendor/bundle
44 bundle config set path 'vendor/bundle'
45 bundle install
46 bundle exec jekyll serve
47
48 And then continue following other jekyll instructions as needed. You'll have to use `bundle exec jekyll ...' to run jekyll - you won't be able to run jekyll directly.
49
50 Hope this helps,
51
52 Alec