From: Anthony Metcalf <Anthony.Metcalf@×××××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] mtune=k6-2 and a *small* upgrade
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:34:55
1 Hi All,
2
3 An interesting theoretical question. I have a K6-2 with a SATA card
4 sitting in it, with two drives, which are happily soft-mirrored, with
5 LVM layered on top, and a nice big iSCSI partition that gets shared to
6 my laptop whenever it's home.....
7
8 It runs postfix (with all the associated tools, amavisd, sqlgrey,
9 spamassassin), mysql, apache, IMAP etc etc etc I would *really* not like
10 to have to re-install, and re-set up.
11
12 I am thinking of upgrading the dead PC I have in the house, that
13 would go to an Athlon 64X2, which would be more than adequate for a
14 desktop, even with all of these services running.
15
16 So, the question. What would I have to do in order that I could
17 build the new system, shutdown the old one, pull the drives, plug them
18 into the new one, turn it on, and have it actually work?
19
20 Obviously a kernel recompile (probably make allyesconfig, or
21 makeallmodconfig), and a lilo change (since this machine won't boot from
22 SATA since the spec didn't exist when it was first turned on...).
23
24 But what else? Will mtune=k6-2 make executables that will run on an
25 Athlon 64? Anyone tried this? Would I get to a point where I could make
26 -e world and have a nice working system?
27
28 Regards
31 Anthony