From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] testing a corrupt SD card
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:15:10
1 On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 19:36 -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > recently my SD card just went bonkers. Unfortunately I lost a lot of
6 > > photos on it (backups are useless until the data actually gets to the
7 > > backup...) but fortunately I was able to use a program to recover about
8 > > 170 photos.
9 > >
10 > > Anyway, I don't know if it was just static, shock, dead card, or phase
11 > > of the moon, so I would like to see if the card is good before I
12 > > continue to use it.
13 >
14 > With any kind of memory or storage device, I would stop using after
15 > the first sign of a problem. My personal experience says it only gets
16 > worse. :)
17 >
18 > Lexar has a free program for recovering corrupted/deleted files from
19 > their cards, did you use that? Or something linux-based like photorec?
20 > Anyway, you wrote over it so it's too late now. :)
21
22 Now you tell me there are free versions?! I ended up finding a photo
23 recovery tool which recovered the photos for me, but it wasn't "free".
24 Needless to say I didn't pay for it, and I deleted it straight away.
25
26 I'll check out photorec next time. I'm having a hard time finding info
27 about it though (see previous email about draconian internet access).
28
29 Is there a general linux version of FAT recovery tools available
30 somewhere? I couldn't find one.
31
32 [sinp]
33
34 > Some (all?) memory cards do wear-leveling/load balancing
35
36 This is what I was afraid of.
37
38 thanks,