From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 14:57:29
1 On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 9:27 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Thoughts. Replace as soon as drive arrives or wait and see?
6 So, first of all just about all my hard drives are in a RAID at this
7 point, so I have a higher tolerance for issues.
8
9 If a drive is under warranty I'll usually try to see if they will RMA
10 it. More often than not they will, and in that case there is really
11 no reason not to. I'll do advance shipping and replace the drive
12 before sending the old one back so that I mostly have redundancy the
13 whole time.
14
15 If it isn't under warranty then I'll scrub it and see what happens.
16 I'll of course do SMART self-tests, but usually an error like this
17 won't actually clear until you overwrite the offline sector so that
18 the drive can reallocate it. A RAID scrub/resilver/etc will overwrite
19 the sector with the correct contents which will allow this to happen.
20 (Otherwise there is no way for the drive to recover - if it knew what
21 was stored there it wouldn't have an error in the first place.)
22
23 If an error comes back then I'll replace the drive. My drives are
24 pretty large at this point so I don't like keeping unreliable drives
25 around. It just increases the risk of double failures, given that a
26 large hard drive can take more than a day to replace. Write speeds
27 just don't keep pace with capacities. I do have offline backups but I
28 shudder at the thought of how long one of those would take to restore.
31 Rich