From: Jackson Darule <ethfreebsd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] wpa_supplicant troubles with newly installed gentoo
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 19:09:44
1 Hello. I’ve newly installed gentoo, and my wireless hasn’t been working. I’ve tried to google and use the wiki to find the answer, but was unable to.
2 If people require more information from my system, feel free to ask. I’ve been trying to manually configure the file for it to work. I’m using WPA2 personal security on my wifi.
3 -------
4 /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
5
6 update_config=1
7 ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel
8
9 network={
10 ssid=“myssid”
11 #psk=“mypsk”
12 psk=(the longer form of the psk generated by the terminal command to find this)
13 proto=WPA
14 key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
15 group=CCMP TKIP
16 pairwise=CCMP TKIP
17 }
18 --------
19 running the command “wpa_supplicant -B -Dnl80211 -iwlp3s0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf" gives the output
20
21 Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
22 ctrl_iface exists and seems to be in use - cannot override it
23 Delete ‘/var/run/wpa_supplicant/wlp3s0’ manually if it is not used anymore
24 Failed to initialize control interface ‘DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel’.
25 You may have another wpa_supplicant process already running or the file was
26 left by an unclean termination of wpa_supplicant in which case you will need
27 to manually remove this file before starting wpa_supplicant again.
28
29 nl80211: deinst ifname=wlp3s0 disabled_11b_rates=0
32 I wanted to ask before manually deleting /var/run/wpa_supplicant/wlp3s0 in case this could do anything to damage my new system. Is the next step to delete /var/run/wpa_supplicant/wlp3s0, or is there another step which I should take in order to connect with my wifi.
33
34 Thanks.