From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: /var/tmp/notmpfs - does not exist
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2015 13:05:53
1 On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 8:21 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 05/09/15 08:52, Dale wrote:
3 >>
4 >> tmpfs /var/tmp/portage tmpfs noatime 0
5 >> 0
8 > Off-topic: forget "noatime". Use "lazytime" instead:
9 > https://lwn.net/Articles/621046
10
11 I don't really see the point in using either for tmpfs. If the file
12 is read its inode is in RAM, and altering it costs just a few CPU
13 cycles. On disk it makes a big difference though.
14
15 Also, I'd be careful about anything other than noatime on COW
16 filesystems like ZFS/btrfs. Disk reads will consume disk space if you
17 have any snapshots, since you're modifying inodes. lazytime does't
18 really do anything to fix this (I believe the intent is to update
19 atime ever 24 hrs as with relatime, but I don't know if this is
20 implemented yet).
23 Rich