From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user]
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 04:43:36
1 On Sun, 11 Oct 2020, John Covici wrote:
2
3 > Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 00:09:16
4 > From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
5 > Reply-To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user]
8 >
9 > On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 19:49:54 -0400,
10 > Jude DaShiell wrote:
11 > >
12 > > On Sat, 10 Oct 2020, Neil Bothwick wrote:
13 > >
14 > > > Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 13:34:43
15 > > > From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
16 > > > Reply-To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
17 > > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
18 > > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user]
19 > > >
20 > > > On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 10:00:04 -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
21 > > >
22 > > > > I did make menuconf in /usr/src/linux and in devices->staging drivers I
23 > > > > found nothing to enable. Speakup got moved out of staging so that's
24 > > > > understandable. in device drivers->accessibility all I found was enable
25 > > > > app-accessibility which I turned on. Is speakup.synth=soft stored in
26 > > > > the runtime driver for espeak now?
27 > > >
28 > > > Press / in menuconf to search for options. This also shows options that
29 > > > are currently unavailable, and what you need to enable to get at them.
30 > > >
31 > > >
32 > > >
33 > >
34 > > --
35 > >
36 > > A search through options made no mention of anything connected to
37 > > accessibility. Trying to install a different kernel source has everything
38 > > masked. I'll read up on masking next, but it's looking like I'm going to
39 > > have to erase everything back to the get stage3 step again and get a less
40 > > current stage3 to get anything installed at all.
41 >
42 > You don't need to do that, you can unmask anything depending on the
43 > reason. Didn't the autounmask option fix your problem?
44 >
45 > You can also use the 5.4.66 stable version.
46 > Also, even in 5.8.13 speakup is still in staging and I did a search
47 > and found it in drivers/staging/speakup, so you can certainly try
48 > that or whatever version of 5.8 you have.
54 The unmasking fixed nothing on this end.
55 I probably download the wrong set of files. Current isn't stated in the
56 file names though it is on directory paths. It might help as a check to
57 put stable or current in as part of the file names in future. I've
58 cleaned the hard drive of gentoo and will start over if I can figure how
59 to do it correctly.