From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Browsers cannot access WWW while ping and host utilities work as expected.
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 14:31:49
1 Am Mon, 5 Aug 2013 07:59:09 -0500
2 schrieb Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>:
3
4 > On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 11:06:52AM +0100, Mick wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > Suggestions of Michael Kintzios
7 > >
8 > > > > This is the new kernel naming scheme of NICs. Which-ever nomenclature
9 > > > > you decide to use, check that that's the only one having a symlink in
10 > > > > /etc/init.d to net.lo
11 > > >
12 > > > Yes, there is only enp2s15 links to lo in /etc/init.d
13 > >
14 > > The idea here is that you need consistent naming of your iface. If you have
15 > > settled on the kernel naming of enp2s15, then stick with this throughout your
16 > > configuration.
17 > > --
18 > > Regards,
19 > > Mick
20 >
21 > If this is "the new kernel naming scheme of NICs", why this in dmesg:
22 >
23 > [ 4.725902] systemd-udevd[1176]: renamed network interface wlan0 to enp0s18f2u2
24 >
25 > It looks as if systemd-udev renamed the NIC to me. Can you explain?
26
27 It already has been explained in the previous NIC renaming discussion: what's
28 broken is renaming a device within the kernels internal namespace, which
29 contains eth*, wlan* (and maybe others). The problem is that there is a race
30 condition with the kernel when renaming ethX to ethY. What you *can* do is
31 rename ethX to somethingelseX or somethingelseY, because then you are not racing
32 against the kernel to hand out device names.
33
34 This is explained on the website that also explains the new default renaming
35 scheme used by udev. I (and IIRC others, too) already linked to it in in the old
36 thread, and the relevant news item also referenced it, but here it is again:
37
38 http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
39
40 HTH
41 --
42 Marc Joliet
43 --
44 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
45 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup