From: Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to get raid
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 08:23:39
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 05.01.2012 04:45, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
5 > On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 04:01 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
6 >
7 >> the short one:
8 >>
9 >> partition one disk with (c)fdisk. Use sfdisk to transfer the
10 >> partition scheme to the other disks.
11 >>
12 >> run mdadm --create /dev/md0 level=whatever you want --raid-
13 >> devices=thenumberofdevices /dev/sdXY /dev/sdZY ...
14 >>
15 >> mdadm --detail --scan >> /etc/mdadm.conf
16 >>
17 >> done
20 > OK, but there is active data on the disks, so I don't want to
21 > partition them. They should already partitioned, and running fdisk
22 > will erase the data.
23 >
24 > If I run mdadm --create /dev/md0 level=5 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sdb
25 > /dev/sdc /dev/sdd, will that erase data already on the disks?
26 >
27 > Prior to running this command, there is no /dev/md entry. Is this
28 > correct?
29 >
30 > Looking further by using fdisk, it appears that sdc has a linux
31 > partition on sdc1 starting at sector 34, and a GPT partition of
32 > size 0+ at /dev/sdc4, sector 0. Nothing else is on that disk (no
33 > sdc2 or sdc3).
34 >
35 > sdd and sdb report invalid partition table flags and do not appear
36 > to have active partitions. Does this make sense?
37 >
38 > Is it possible that I ordered the disks incorrectly when I
39 > installed them, and by simply swapping disks b and c at the raid I
40 > can get things to start making sense? Is there an order to a set
41 > of RAID5 disks? I thought any two of three RAID5 disks could be
42 > recovered, regardless of which one dies?
43 >
44 >> there is a reason why I never ever touch genkernel.
45 >>
46 >> you should forget that crap. You don't need to copy around
47 >> anything. If your root is not on some fancy setup, you don't need
48 >> initramfs.
49 >>
50 >> Just make a nice kernel, put it in /boot. Done.
51 >>
52 > OK. The OS disk is non-RAID (120GB SSD), so I don't need any
53 > fancy options in my kernel. All the domdadm and dodmraid stuff is
54 > needed just when your OS disk is raided. Correct?
55 >
56 > Thanks
57 >
58 > Jeff
59
60 If you used a hardware-based RAID before, you should do nothing with
61 mdadm or fdisk until you have a working copy of your data.
62
63 If I recall correctly, you said, you used that RAID-array on a
64 different mobo before. Then the mobo died and you want just to reuse
65 the array. Correct?
66
67 If that's correct you may be in serious trouble, because afaik there
68 ist no real standart in how to create a hardware RAID. If the old
69 RAID-controller/firmware isn't available anymore you could try to find
70 an identical one.
71 There may be even the possibility that through your tries with the new
72 controller/mobo the array is damaged right now.
73 That is - by the way - one very good reason to use a software-based
74 solution like mdadm: you aren't restricted to specific hardware...