From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: Gentoo-User ML <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Decoding the mouse
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 12:31:51
1 Am Fri, 14 May 2010 13:16:39 +0200
2 schrieb meino.cramer@×××.de:
5 > Hi,
6
7 Hi,
8
9 > my old mouse died. She became 12 years old...what a young soul... ;)
10 >
11 > Today I had to buiy a new one (Logitech MX518,wired).
12
13 I have that one, too, though I bought it about 2.5 years ago, so there might be
14 differences I'm not aware of.
15
16 > This one has a laser a some additional buttons to play with.
17 >
18 > General question: Are these buttons free for assigning any function
19 > to them (do they send "button 4 on mouse was pressed") or do they
20 > codes which represent a (very small) part of a USB-keyboard (sending
21 > "Page Up" of keyboard was presses) and how can I access these
22 > additional buttons?
23
24 Yes, you can access them. I use the button under the "-" button to maximize
25 windows, for example. I had to manually configure my window manager (Awesome)
26 for that, though.
27
28 On the other hand, Firefox recognizes the arrow buttons on the side and goes
29 forward and backward in the tab history when I press them, without any conscious
30 configuration on my part.
31
32 The events my mouse sends are (checked via "xev"):
33
34 8: backward arrow
35 9: forward arrow
36 10: "maximize" button
37
38 The "+"/"-" buttons are not accessible, I believe, since xev doesn't report any
39 events when I press them. I guess the mouse handles their events in
40 hardware/firmware.
41
42 > Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
43 > Best regards,
44 > mcc
45
46 HTH