From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] idea about small footprint gentoo
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:02:13
1 > What do you think about this? Does it have a chance to work?
2
3 I don't think it stands a snowball's chance in ... Well, you get the idea.
4
5 Sascha, I'm thinking that if you start with a bare-bones handbook install
6 you'll have a minimum system, at least for gentoo support. It won't have X,
7 desktops, many of the services & tools, etc.
8
9 If you're thinking about an embedded device (i.e. a router) then you
10 wouldn't want to use a source-based install like gentoo on it, you'd either
11 want to use a binary distribution (many examples of minimum linux
12 distributions out there, check http://www.distrowatch.com for variations) or
13 you could create a home-brew distribution from a customized setup based upon
14 gentoo, but a hand-generated distrib could be difficult to pull together
15 (difficult to identify all of necessary files that must be on the distro).
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list