From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: bash details
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:21:03
1 On 12 August 2005 16:01, James wrote:
2 > Frank Schafer <frank.schafer <at> t-systems.cz> writes:
3 > > Gooooooooooogle "Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide" >>>
4 > > <www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/>
5 >
6 > Well this is an excellent resource, BUT it seems
7 > devoid of any examples where a custom device driver,
8 > say for the serial port on a linux system,
9 > inserted as a module or is part of the kernel,
10 > and the associate software that allows users
11 > to access some of the hardware(features) and not
12 > other hardware/firmware/kernel features(code), unless
13 > they are root, or have a special (encrypted)key
14 > or another form of chicanery (biometric generated
15 > key).
16
17 True but then, what you are asking for has precious little to do with bash
18 scripting. I was actually wondering what you need when reading your original
19 code.
20
21 If you want to hack kernel drivers you need to familiarise yourself with the
22 kernel and the generic driver interface. Don't know whether the documentation
23 in the kernel is enough for that.
24
25 On the other hand, I don't think you really need a kernel driver. If your goal
26 is to drive some gadget attached to a serial port, you can do all that in a
27 userspace application. I once wrote the complete interface between a database
28 and an array of automatic medical analysers attached to a serial line in
29 userspace. Alright, that was on HPUX but it did compile and work under linux
30 as well.
31
32 Although a bit outdated, Richard Stevens's "Advanced Programming in the UNIX
33 Environment" is still a very valuable resource to get started.
34
35 Uwe
38 95% of all programmers rate themselves among the top 5% of all software
39 developers. - Linus Torvalds
40
41 http://www.uwix.iway.na (last updated: 20.06.2004)
42 --