From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to set up claws mail
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 09:36:47
1 On Monday, 23 October 2017 09:46:37 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > I still don't have it right. On fetching mail this morning I received just
3 > one message, but webmail showed more than a dozen. A second attempt at
4 > fetching them left this log entry:
5 >
6 > * Account 'Zen': Connecting to POP3 server: mailhost.zen.co.uk:995...
7 > [09:35:05] POP3< +OK smarthost03b, Zen Internet POP3 Server Ready
8 > [09:35:05] POP3> USER peter@××××××××××××.uk
9 > [09:35:05] POP3< +OK Please enter your pass, with the PASS command.
10 > [09:35:05] POP3> PASS ********
11 > [09:35:05] POP3< +OK Logged in.
12 > [09:35:05] POP3> STAT
13 > [09:35:06] POP3< +OK 13 198521
14
15 This shows you have 13 messages totaling 198,521 Bytes
16
17 > [09:35:06] POP3> UIDL
18 > [09:35:06] POP3< +OK UIDL List
19 > [09:35:06] POP3> LIST
20 > [09:35:06] POP3< +OK 13 messages (198521 octets)
21
22 This doesn't look correct to me. I would expect to see a list containing each
23 message followed by its unique ID, e.g.:
24
25 1 00WBw418fblah
26 2 foo:hdPYR
27 ...
28 13 whateverswO
29 .
30
31 as per RFC1939 at least.
32
33 Also missing is the RETR command, which will retrieve a numbered message and
34 the DELE command which will mark the message(s) to be deleted when the client
35 quits the session.
38 > [09:35:06] POP3> QUIT
39 > [09:35:06] POP3< +OK Goodbye. See you again sometime :)
40 >
41 > Why is claws not fetching those 13 messages?
42
43 I can't answer this, other than by saying the above log entries do not display
44 a complete transaction sequence I would expect to see between a client and a
45 POP3 server. In the first instance I suggest you use openssl s_client to
46 login on a terminal and fire the various commands at the server to see its
48 messages so they are not deleted and QUIT.
49
50 Then try again with Claws, increasing the log verbosity to see what you get.
51 It may be the POP3 server implementation is incompatible with the Claws
52 client, although in 2017 when POP3 would be deemed mature at best, if not
53 technologically obsolete, this seems unlikely.
56 Disclaimer 1: I have not used Claws for years now.
57 Disclaimer 2: I've stopped using telnet to troubleshoot POP3 servers or read
58 my emails for even more years than that. :-)
61 Regards,
62 Mick