From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Print to cups printer from Windows - any good instructions?
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:04:34
1 Hi,
2 I'm looking around for up to date instructions/wikis/howtos on how
3 to set up Samba on my CUPS server to allow me to print from Windows.
4 The two most expansive ones I found were here:
5
6 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/quick-samba-howto.xml
7 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=110931
8
9 Unfortunately these seem to have gone out of date. Use flags aren't
10 right or don't exist. The text says things exist in certain files like
11 cupsd.conf but they don't seem to be there anymore or have apparently
12 been moved elsewhere. Lots of little problems.
13
14 Is there anything that's up to date and easy to follow? Do I really
15 have to absorb 1000 lines of HTML to make a cups printer visible to
16 Windows? Is it really that difficult? The printer is on a server, not
17 a machine running Gnome or KDE if it matters.
18
19 I can start trying to follow these instructions but I've already
20 got questions and I'm not even close to printing so I figured it's
21 best to look for good instructions.
22
23 Thanks,
24 Mark