From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hanging out with fbsplash
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:23:32
1 Zac Medico wrote:
2
3 >That sounds nice. Do you use busybox for the root-on-loop-AES setup? What is better about initramfs? Do you have to compile the cpio archive into the kernel or is it just as good when you load it like an initrd? I'm looking forward to the howto ;-).
8 Well, I don't use busybox. The main "problem" using an initrd with
9 loop-AES is that the memory used by the initrd can never be freed (I
10 think it can be swapped out though), and thus the reason you want to use
11 something small like busybox/dietlibc/klibc. In my case, to make my
12 initrd small, I ended up using /bin and /lib directories on the /boot
13 partition to contain the majority of the programs needed by the /linuxrc
14 script.
15
16 But with an initramfs, you don't care as much about the memory problem,
17 because almost every byte of that can be reclaimed simply by rm -rf'ing
18 all of the files in the initramfs once you have the root filesystem
19 mounted and you have pivoted to it.
20
21 Thus the reason I don't use busybox...having a 10MB uncompressed
22 initramfs is not a problem. I can have bash, glibc, and a bunch of
23 other regular utilities available before the root is mounted, and when I
24 am done with them, I simply delete the files and "umount -n -l" the
25 initramfs.
26
27 Oh, and it works either way, but I have a slight preference for
28 compiling the cpio into the kernel. It keeps the init environment and
29 the kernel inexorably linked, and also lets me dump all ramdisk support
30 from my kernel config.
31
32 -Richard
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list