From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo-Users <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] What is the best way to clean up the world file?
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 02:17:52
1 What is the best way to clean up the world file?
2
3 I have inherited a system where someone did individual emerges to update
4 packages when there was a single package that had a problem. So, now
5 all the packages that emerge wanted to update have been added to the
6 world file.
7
8 I'd like to clean up world file so that it's back to just the original
9 packages and allow emerge to manage the dependencies. More
10 specifically, I'd like the standard emerge --depclean to remove
11 no-longer-needed dependencies after removing the things that depended on
12 them.
13
14 I can derive a list of the extra dependencies from the
15 /var/log/emerge.log file by looking for clusters of individual installs
16 really close to each other.