From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 00:50:06
1 On 02/08/13 03:19, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On 02/08/13 07:42, Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> On 02/08/13 02:27, William Kenworthy wrote:
4 >>> On 02/08/13 00:28, Tanstaafl wrote:
5 >>>> Hi all,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> Ok, rehashing this, but please don't turn it into another udev vs
8 >>>> systemd thread.
9 >>>>
10 >>>> I have an older server that I have been putting off this update,
11 >>>> debating on whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me
14 >>>> find any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.
15 >>>>
16 >>>> The eudev project page is sparse, to say the least.
17 >>>>
18 >>>> Anyone?
19 >>>>
20 >>>
21 >>> Something like
22 >>>
23 >>> olympus ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.mask
24 >>>> =sys-fs/udev-180
25 >>> ...
26 >>> olympus ~ #
27 >>>
28 >>> olympus ~ # grep udev /etc/portage/package.keywords
29 >>> sys-fs/eudev ~amd64
30 >>> =virtual/udev-206 ~amd64
31 >>> olympus ~ #
32 >>>
33 >>> unmerge everything udev && emerge eudev
34 >>>
35 >>> its been much less fuss and bother than trying to stick with the udev
36 >>> machinations - I have maybe 15 machines and vm's running eudev, no udev
37 >>> ... :)
38 >>
39 >> nope, you just believed all the FUD there has been out there. i've said
40 >> it many times, and i'll say it again:
41 >>
42 >> the only real different is USE="rule-generator" and that's it
43 >>
44 >> and sys-fs/eudev is constantly out of date and haven't developed any
45 >> features of their own
46 >>
47 >> so why follow with unreliable fork, when there is the official package
48 >> available with equal features?
52 > and I just searched gentoo's bugzilla for "eudev" and there is a single
53 > bug which is a stabilisation request. Looking at the eudev github page
54 > recent updates range from hours to days though some are months as one
55 > would expect.
56 >
57 > If its unreliable, where are the bugs? Try doing a search of gentoo's
58 > bugzilla for udev instead of eudev ...
59
60 The bugs assigned to udev-bugs@ apply also to sys-fs/eudev in almost
61 every case.
62 And the sys-fs/eudev specific bugs are in the github page at 'Tickets',
63 and some in bugzilla.
64 And yes, there are attempt at keeping up-to-date but everytime I (or we)
65 review how it was done, bits are missing from here and there.
66
67 So still, eudev is the unnecessary experimental toy trying to catch up
68 udev, and sys-fs/udev will be the default for long as sys-apps/openrc is
69 the default.