From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Devs and rice flags (Was: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -j, make -j and make -l )
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:58:38
1 On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 > On Nov 28, 2011 10:38 PM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
4 >> > Won't file a bug report, though. I have a feeling that my bug report re:
5 >> > emerge failure will be marked WONTFIX thanks to the 'ricer special'
6 >> > CFLAGS
7 >>
8 >> The CFLAGS you showed me weren't any more ricer than "-O2
9 >> -march=native". (I didn't know that -D_FORTIFY=2 came from gcc)
10 >>
11 >> They wouldn't have a leg to stand on...
14 > Mine is:
15 >
16 > CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer -floop-interchange
17 > -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -funsafe-math-optimizations
18 > -fexcess-precision=fast"
19 >
20 > If you tell me that's not a ricer's CFLAGS, then you've just made me a very
21 > happy cat :-)
22
23 No, you've got some ugly flags in there. -fexcess-precision and
24 -funsafe-math-optimizations, in particular. (I must have been talking
25 to someone else last week; sorry, I'm terrible with names.)
26
27 -fomit-frame-pointer shouldn't cause any headaches unless you're
28 feeding a gdb stack trace, and you're not adding any debugging data,
29 so your stack traces would be pretty useless, anyway.
30
31 I don't know about -floop-interchange, -floop-strip-mine or
32 -floop-block. I recognize at least one of them from the discussion of
33 graphite the other day.
34
35 However, if you get a *build-time* error that isn't, e.g. a tool
36 crashing, then there's not *much* reason to doubt the bug report,
37 IMHO.
40 :wq