From: Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package conflict on update
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 04:40:24
1 On 1/6/06, Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> wrote:
2 > Trenton Adams schreef:
3 > > On 1/5/06, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > >
5 > >>On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 16:32:20 -0700, Trenton Adams wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >>
8 > >>>>something like
9 > >>>>
10 > >>>>if_blocked_by('openmotif')
11 > >>>> ewarn "You must unmerge openmotif before proceeding"
12 > >>>
13 > >>>Yes, or as follows...
14 > >>>
15 > >>>if_blocked_by('openmotif')
16 > >>> auto_unmerge('openmotif')
17 > >>> # continue with merge which should automatically be merging openmotif
18 > >>>anyhow.
19 > >>
20 > >>Absolutely not! I don't want portage removing something I may be using at
21 > >>the time without my saying so.
24 > > Good point. Perhaps it should ask then?
28 > Well, it does, by stopping and waiting for you to perform an action and
29 > either restart the stopped process (if the action you took was to
30 > unmerge the blocking package), or to forego the stopped process
31 > entirely, if you choose not to remove the blocked package because you
32 > want to keep it for whatever reason (it could happen).
33 >
34 > You're assuming that unmerging the blocking package is *always* the
35 > right solution for everyone at all times (in this case, it's not really
36 > relevant, since motif-config will itself re-install openmotif), but the
37 > point of Gentoo is that you are in control. If I am in control, then I
38 > have to decide what I want done in each particular situation that
39 > occurs, which is exactly what I have to do with the current setup-- very
40 > obviously, since Portage will stop until I make a decision and act on
41 > it. So fine, your new updated Portage informs me there's a block, and
42 > says, "I could do this to solve it, shall I?" I myself am going to say
43 > "no", because I want to know the nature of the block, and how Portage's
44 > proposed action is going to affect the system that I have carefully
45 > customized to my individual needs.
46 >
47 > So I'm right in the same position as I was anyway; the emerge is stopped
48 > (because I said, no don't go on with whatever you plan), and I'm off
49 > reading ChangeLogs and the like to see what's going on in the
50 > environment I'm suddenly dealing with. I suppose that it's all very nice
51 > to have some extra dialog as if Portage was communicating with me more
52 > "humanely", but it's just cosmetic, in actual fact.
53 >
54 > Of course, that may be because I take time to read some of the
55 > comprehensive documentation that so many have taken the time to write,
56 > so I know what a Blocked Package is, so it doesn't freak me out when I
57 > come across one. So sue me and call me names... oh wait, you had your
58 > rant already. We'll mark that item "Done", then.
59
60 I don't think anyone wants to call you names. At least not anyone
61 sensible. But, I see I struck a nerve on one of my previous posts.
62 That's good though, as we *all* need to be provoked to think a little.
63 That way we become *wise* rather than *smart*. And wise is better
64 than smart. :D
67 > Ultimately, I'm sure such an extra dialog would be a nice thing, but I
68 > don't so much see it as something to get all riled up about. Maybe it's
69 > just me.
70 >
71 > Holly
74 > --