From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Jitsi or Other Skype Alternative
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 11:26:02
1 On 23.08.2013 13:42, the wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On 08/23/13 13:21, Stroller wrote:
6 >>
7 >> On 22 August 2013, at 17:08, hasufell wrote:
8 >>> … I was arguing from both sides. It is buggy, crashes a lot,
9 >>> consumes a lot of ressources and is able to slow down your whole
10 >>> desktop, mess with audio settings and whatnot.
11 >>
12 >> My granny never had these problems, using Skype on her PC.
13 > I can assure you that skype consumes tremendous amount of ram.
14
15 Not defending Skype in any way, but tremendous is not calculable.
16 In these words, e.g. KDE consumes even more tremendous amounts. So what,
17 stop using KDE now?
18 As to bugs, don't think Skype has more bugs than KDE. Crashes, slowdowns
19 and UI troubles - KDE is plentiful with them. Stop using KDE now?
20 And it would be interesting to see a program (somewhat more complex than
21 printf('%s', 'Hello world'); ) which does not suffer from all these issues.
22 The main criterion of quality of software is whether it suits users'
23 needs. All that "technical" stuff is about talking. The user never sees
24 the code, rarely sees the resource utilization, and what he observes
25 most of the time is the result of using the software. If the user
26 manages to achieve his goal, the software is successful. If not, the
27 quality of code and UI and resource consumption matter nothing.
28 The advanced user will probably aim at minimizing RAM usage, improving
29 UI, opening the source code etc. but after all software quality is only
30 the users' perceived matching of expectations with results.
34 Best wishes,
35 Yuri K. Shatroff