From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerging package via NFS ?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 11:04:45
1 Yes, I have a N330 (zotec ION) with 3G ram, no local storage and swap
2 over nbd with portage and build area in /tmp which itself is on tmpfs.
3
4 Some packages (gcc and glibc in particular) require a lot of ram and
5 tmpfs to emerge so sometimes I have to disable tmpfs and use nfs
6 storage.
7
8 Because portage is lost on reboot when using tmpfs, an emerge sync is
9 needed to rebuild it when an update is needed and that takes time (more
10 than just updating portage over nfs in fact). The upside is emerges can
11 be very fast indeed and updating portage is an unattended operation so
12 cost (admin time) is small for me.
13
14 Only disadvantage is gcc and possibly gcc need manual intervention to
15 disable tmpfs but thats not often - if you dont mind the wasted disk
16 space (portage) you can avoid the sync time, but having the build
17 directories in tmpfs is a real gain - wish I had the max of 4G though :)
18
19 BillK
20
21 myth2 linux # df -h
22 Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
23 devtmpfs 878M 72K 878M 1% /dev
24 shm 878M 0 878M 0% /dev/shm
25 tmpfs 1.8G 492M 1.3G 29% /tmp
26 tmpfs 10M 0 10M 0% /var/lock
27 tmpfs 10M 64K 10M 1% /var/run
28 tmpfs 10M 320K 9.7M 4% /var/cache/hald
29 svcdir 2.0M 208K 1.8M 11% /var/lib/init.d
30 myth1:/home/MythTV/videos
31 1.2T 960G 251G 80% /mnt/videos
32 myth1:/home/MythTV/posters
33 1.2T 960G 251G 80% /mnt/posters