From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Replacement for acroread on 64bit system?
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 16:10:16
1 On 2015-03-06, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > What is a good acroread replacement?
4 >
5 > I'm not sure what changed, but as of a few weeks ago I can no longer
6 > install acroread on my AMD64 system (something to do with x86
7 > emulation librarys being blocked by something in the Xorg server).
8
9 I've been living without acroread for a couple weeks now, and evince
10 has proven to be a good replacement except when I want to print
11 something (usually I only want to print a couple pages or just a
12 portion of a page).
13
14 After the big multilib switch was thrown over the weeked I removed the
15 one remaining emulation library, and everything is now updated. So
16 far, ncurses has been the only package for which I've had to add the
17 abi_x86_32 USE flag (32-bit ncurses is required for grub-legacy).
18
19 So, just for the sake of curiousity, I asked emerge what would be
20 needed to install acroread again. I was pleased to see that emerge
21 now thinks it possible and only wants to rebuild 81 packages with an
22 added abi_x86_32 USE flag (I was actually expecting more).
23
24 Assuming that will work, it appears to be an easier path than getting
25 okular to install. I've been trying to figure out exactly what that
26 would entail, but emerge is as yet unabled to come up with a list of
27 dependencies. I'm currently on emerge iteration number 12 or 13, and
28 we seem to have gone into a loop where emerge alternates between
29 demanding that I add the qt4 USE flag for media-libs/phonon, and then
30 demands that I remove it.
31
32 I think we'll see how re-installed acroread goes...
35 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I need to discuss
36 at BUY-BACK PROVISIONS
37 gmail.com with at least six studio
38 SLEAZEBALLS!!