From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] newbie install - emerge: command not found
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:09:47
1 On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:32:00 +0200, Assaf Urieli wrote:
2
3 > In fact, I'm not even quite sure that I understand the whole concept of
4 > mounting...
5 > When I type:
6 > # mount -t ext3 /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
7 > Does the /mnt/gentoo directory already exist somewhere? If it didn't, I
8 > imagine this statement would throw an error. But where can it exist if
9 > it isn't yet associated with any partition (i.e. /dev/hda3)?
10
11 It must exist, and it exists as a normal directory within /mnt.
12
13 > # mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
14 > Where am I making this directory? I would assume this statement creates
15 > the directory on /dev/hda3. But then, in the next statement, I'm
16 > associating it with /dev/hda4!
17
18 You are creating it in whatever filesystem contains /mnt/gentoo. At this
19 point, it is simply an empty directory in that filesystem. Only when you
20 mount it does it have any content.
21
22 Actually, a mount point can have content of its own, which becomes
23 invisible when another filesystem is mounted on it. For
24 example, in Gentoo /mnt/cdrom normally contains a single file
25 called .keep, which you no longer see when you mount a CD, you see the
26 contents of that disc instead. When you unmount the CD, the underlying
27 directory becomes visible again and you can see .keep.
28
29 > Now that I've got an unused /dev/hda4 partition, what should I mount on
30 > it? I can't mount /usr onto it cause /usr already exists on the root
31 > partition & is full of stuff. Can I just invent any old name for
32 > mounting (like say, /home), and then use it for storing data?
33
34 Yes, and you could also mount /usr on it.
35
36 mkdir /mnt/tmp
37 mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/tmp
38 rsync -a /usr/ /mnt/tmp/
39 umount /mnt/tmp
40 mount /dev/hda4 /usr
41 mount --bind / /mnt/tmp
42 rm -fr /mnt/tmp/usr/*
43 umount /mnt/tmp
47 Neil Bothwick
48
49 Due to inflation, all clouds will now be lined with zinc.