From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] disable Intel Mgr Engine
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 02:47:38
1 On 9/13/18 4:55 PM, Taiidan@×××.com wrote:
2 > Impossible - ME can't be disabled.
3
4 huh. did not know that.
7 > Me cleaner only nerfs it by removing various modules, either BUP (init)
8 > still runs or the kernel still runs plus any option/mask roms.
9
10 Perhaps a bit of detail on this?
13 > If you want a PC without black boxes either buy a pre-PSP amd board like
14 > KGPE-D16/KCMA-D8,
17 Is there a master list of pre PSP amd systems around. I have some old K6
18 and such. Dirt slow but for transactions might be work the effort.
22 g505s laptop
23
24 "sorry, this product is no longer available" from numerous searches.
25 I have an old IBK think pad, vitange 1990 that still works. External Cd
26 in on a cable. Still works great after battery change. I have not fired
27 it up in a few years.....
28
29 I'm not a fan (at all) of lenovo.
32 and install coreboot/libreboot+openbmc
35 Yep on the todo list.
36
37 or
38 > get a non-x86 device like the brand new/fast OpenPOWER9 TALOS 2
39 > (https://raptorcs.com) which is currently selling for less than
40 > equivilant x86 hardware.
41
42 Not sure I want to 'take on another arch'. If I were to I put a RiscV
43 on a fpga, or something like that.
47 > The only owner controlled CPU arch now is OpenPOWER.
50 Not even any of the ARM64 dev boards with 4G of DDR4 ?
51 Arm64 would be my preferred pathway forward.
52
53 Any details are most appreicated.
54
55 James