From: "((RayDar))" <gentoo-user@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: glibc-2.17 fails and warning: setlocale: LC_ALL error
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 23:46:04
1 Hello,
2
3 I think I can offer some some more clues to the problem in thread started by
4 Dale, as archived here:
5 https://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@l.g.o/msg147315.html
6
7 I too get the "Your old kernel is broken. You need to update it to a newer
8 version as syscall(<bignum>) will break." message whenever I try to emerge
9 glibc-2.17. This happens on all three of my machines, which are kept up to
10 date and have slightly different configurations. It is likely that many people
11 are in a broken state, but they don't know it because they haven't tried re-
12 emerging glibc.
13
14 Previously in this thread, I see that Hinnerk van Bruinehsen asked:
15
16 > Can you run;
17
18 > printf "#include <unistd.h>\n#include <sys/syscall.h>\nint main(){return \
19 > syscall(1000)!=-1;}\n" > syscall.c && make syscall && ./syscall && echo $?
20
21 When I try this on each of my systems, I get the same output:
22
23 cc syscall.c -o syscall
24
25 Notice that the line with the 0 is missing.
26
27 I found a work around: move to an earlier kernel. This problem happens for me
28 on kernel-3.14.14 and for Dale on kernel-3.15.5. But, it DOESN'T happen for me
29 on 3.12.21-r1.
30
31 When I boot into the 3.12.21-r1 kernel, the printf() above outputs:
32
33 cc syscall.c -o syscall
34 0
35
36 as it should.
37
38 Could the emerge glibc fail be due to a required kernel configuration option
39 that didn't make it into 3.14.14 or above?