From: Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Monitoring temperatures
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 23:23:41
1 On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:58:05 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > > On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 02:26:36 -0500, Dale wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> What may also be a good idea is to have some way to shut the systems
8 > >> down when they get to hot or if the A/C fails.
9 > >
10 > > Most BIOSes will do this automatically,although they tend to let the
11 > > temperature get quite high. lm_sensors includes a daemon that will monitor
12 > > temperatures and send warnings and alarms.
13 >
14 > I may be wrong here, but doesn't it just shut off like cutting off
15 > power? Or does it tell the OS to do the shutdown, like in a real
16 > hurry? I never tested that "feature" so I'm not real clear on how that
17 > works.
18
19 Sometimes there is also an option to send ACPI "power button" event
20 beforehand, but either way that's usually is the "last resort" case -
21 last thing I want is a hardware shutdown just because of high load.
22
23 Besides, it's none too flexible - sometimes just one of the
24 conditioners goes down, so the room temp gets to, say, 25C, but that's
25 still not a reason to panic if the situation is under control.
26
27 And even when bunch of bioses shut system down all the systems
28 correctly because of cpu/chipset heat when A/C dies, there'd be a lot of
29 hard drive failures in a few weeks.
32 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net