From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multiseat -- LTSP?
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 12:04:06
1 On Sunday 29 Jan 2012 05:26:28 Grant wrote:
2 > I'd like to have multiple users working from separate monitors,
3 > keyboards, and mice, but all connected to a single Gentoo computer.
4 > The main purpose is to minimize sys admin duties but hardware and
5 > power requirements would also be minimized.
6 >
7 > Apparently this is called "multiseat" and native support in Xorg might
8 > not be ready for primetime:
9 >
10 > http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/Multiseat
11 > http://vignatti.wordpress.com/2008/09/23/multiseat-roadmap
12 >
13 > There is a configuration tool for Xorg multiseat called MDM:
14 >
15 > http://wiki.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/index.php/Mdm
16 >
17 > but from what I've read it isn't ideal. Besides Xorg multiseat I've
18 > read about LTSP and a few others:
19 >
20 > http://www.ltsp.org
21 > http://www.thinstation.org
22 > http://automseat.sourceforge.net
23 > http://www.openthinclient.org
24 >
25 > There are also a lot of proprietary options. Is LTSP the way to go?
26
27 It may be, but as with all thin client models you would need a terminal
28 computer for each user.
29
30 If you only have one machine and monitors, keyboards and mice for each user
31 then you'll need multiple video cards (and a strong power supply) for your
32 only PC. In this case something like http://automseat.sourceforge.net may be
33 more appropriate. However, I have not used anything like this set up to offer
34 an opinion on performance.
35
36 At work we use thin clients running Debian to serve MSWindows server desktop
37 and apps to users. This setup uses the Citrix ica protocol, but I'm thinking
38 that FreeNX coupled with VNC or relevant KDE or Gnome remote desktop
39 implementation would probably work nicely and offer LAN and remote connection
40 security at the same time.
41 --
42 Regards,
43 Mick