From: Mike Mazur <mmazur@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox 3
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 11:12:45
1 Hi Alastair,
2
3 On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Alastair Irving
4 <alastair.irving@×××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > I'm fairly new to gentoo, and was wondering what success people hav had with
6 > firefox 3. I unmasked the relevent ebuild, but this then required a library
7 > which I had to unmask, which then required another masked library. At this
8 > point I stopped, as it looked as though I was going to end up updating a
9 > fairly large number of packages to unstable versions and I was worried this
10 > might break something else on my system.
11 >
12 > Any advice will be gratefully received.
13
14 When I want to try software that requires packages to be unmasked, I
15 unmask only the specific versions required. In my
16 /etc/portage/package.keywords file I then have entries like this:
17
18 =media-plugins/gst-plugins-opengl-0.10.5 ~x86
19 =net-analyzer/ntop-3.2-r3 ~x86
20 # etc...
21
22 When newer unstable versions of those packages hit the tree, you won't
23 pull them in.
24
25 I also comment the /etc/portage/package.keywords file which makes it
26 easier to go back and remove all the relevant packages once I'm done
27 playing with a keyworded package.
28
29 Hope that helps,
30 Mike