From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The device-mapper init script is written for baselayout-2
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 19:11:40
1 Hi Stroller,
2 on Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 12:51:04PM +0000, you wrote:
3
4 >> Since I'm not real sure what this package does, I am unsure if I
5 >> should just unmerge and re-emerge it (perhaps at one time I ran the
6 >> ~x86 version and so I have a mixture?)
7 >
8 > I'm not sure what this does, either. Someone may come along in a
9 > moment with better advice, but as a first step I'd `equery b
10 > /etc/initi.d/device-mapper`. If it says that device-mapper doesn't
11 > belong to any of your current packages then I think you can safely
12 > (remove it from the default runlevel and subsequently) delete it,
13 > otherwise I'd reemerge the package to which it belongs.
14
15 Baselayout has a bunch of init scripts and utilities that all the other
16 init scripts need, plus /etc/conf.d stuff ("equery f baselayout" can
17 tell you what exactly). You certainly don't want to unmerge that if you
18 ever plan to reboot your system.
19 I'm not 100% sure about the device-mapper script but I ran into the same
20 question when I installed my new amd64 system these days. The x86 one
21 didn't have it when I started using encrypted homes so I hadn't noticed
22 it appeared in one of the latest dm-crypt versions. It looks like they
23 just split off some functionality Baselayout-1 has in localmount and
24 checkfs into its own script. Just ignore/remove it for now, there will
25 probably be a fat warning when Baselayout-2 turns stable and you have to
26 re-add it.
27
28 cheers,
29 Matthias
30 --
31 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
32 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665