From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: I don't understand Perl. What do I do after an update?
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 01:07:32
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > On Wednesday 21 July 2010 23:14:35 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 > > > This is a painful process. It's enough to drive a sysadmin to drink or
6 > > > (god forbid), to Windows. Portage can't help as the ebuild doesn't know
7 > > > what you have installed. So you must run a script to go and dig out all
8 > > > this crap for you.
9 > > >
10 > > >
11 > > >
12 > > > All I can say is, every day I get down on my knees and offer thanks that
13 > > > perl is not slotted.
14 > >
15 > > But portage should be sensible enough to either run this for you, or
16 > > stop emerging -- I had a lot of trouble during the last update where I
17 > > kept getting errors and I emerged a couple of them before I knew I had
18 > > to run perl-cleaner.
19 >
20 > You haven't thought this through and haven't consider how portage knows what
21 > to do.
22 >
23 > Portage doesn't do it because portage can't.
24 > You want portage to do it != portage can do it.
25 >
26 > Consider this:
27 >
28 > [I] dev-lang/perl
29 > Installed versions: 5.12.1-r1(23:11:24 21/07/10)(berkdb gdbm -build -
30 > debug -doc -ithreads)
31 >
32 > [I] dev-perl/DateManip
33 > Installed versions: 5.56(19:39:11 17/07/10)(-test)
36 > When I upgraded perl to 5.12.1-r1, DateManip was not upgraded. Why not?
37 > because it's version number did not change and that is the ONLY thing portage
38 > considers. DateManip depends on perl, not on =perl-whatever-I-used-to-have
39 >
40 > So portage does not know of the link between these two things and cannot take
41 > them into account. Portage won't be expanded anytime soon either - you saw how
42 > long it took for perl-cleaner to run, must portage go through something like
43 > that with every emerge?
44 >
45 > Similarly, one could say portage should detect rev-dep breakage. Surprise! It
46 > doesn't. revdep-rebuild does that (comparable to perl-cleaner) and you know
47 > how long that takes to run.
48 >
49 > So you wasted some time with an upgrade. Well that's a shame. But we don't
50 > care much, especially if you don't read the elog messages. If you feel that
51 > portage should does this automagically, and have a plan to make it run REAL
52 > quick, and have proven, workable, debugged, solid, stable patches, then I'm
53 > sure Zac would be very happy indeed to hear from you.
54 >
55 > In the meantime, read the elog messages.
56 But I could not read the elog messages, the emerge was going on, till I
57 got the first error and I didn't realize that portage had upgraded perl
58 -- the only thing I would like portage to do is to know that something
59 must be run and stop so I can do this. You could have a list of
60 packages which require a stop after emerging or something. I am
61 thinking out loud here, but this is what I am trying to say.
64 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
65 How do
66 you spend it?
67
68 John Covici