From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia drivers and KDE problem
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 23:08:18
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 4:12 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> The problem. After I am logged into KDE for a good while, like several
4 >> hours to maybe a day or so, the kicker thingy at the bottom locks up
5 >> tight. I can't switch desktops, clock stops working, can't click the K
6 >> menu thingy either. Everything in the kicker thingy is dead as a door
7 >> nail. I can switch desktops with the keyboard and everything else works
8 >> in KDE just fine. I can also switch to a console too. Killing X and
9 >> restarting it fixes it, xdm restart in my case. I don't have to reload
10 >> drivers or restart the system. I do go back and downgrade the drivers
11 >> after testing it.
12 > I recently started having trouble where KDE becomes unresponsive at
13 > login and logout for about 20 seconds or more. In my case it was
14 > because of pulseaudio and KDE not getting along together for some
15 > reason. The facts are a bit more nuanced but the work-around that
16 > makes everything normal for me again was to edit
17 > /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop and add a line which says:
18 > NotShowIn=KDE
19 >
20 > Maybe unrelated to your problem but I thought I would mention it just in case.
25 I don't use pulseaudio but thanks for the post tho. If I did, could
26 have helped. :-)
27
28 Also, I still have two posts I have not replied to because it hasn't
29 locked up yet. I haven't been able to test the things yet. If it locks
30 up again, will reply with the results.
31
32 Dale
33
37 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!