From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Random segfaults with kernel 2.6.27
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 05:51:02
1 Andrey Falko wrote:
2 > [...]
3 > I agree. Even if this is a bug, no open source developer could be
4 > qualified to fix it because fgrlx is closed source. If you can, report
5 > this to ATI, otherwise, you will have to live with the problem or use
6 > open source drivers.
7
8 That is not true. If it's in portage, you have to accept bugs against
9 it. If a bug is serious, then that means the package has to stay masked
10 if there's no workaround for it in form of a patch. And sometimes there
11 are patches for non-OSS software too. (This bug is not serious because
12 I'm the only one who can confirm it. But you're talking generally, so
13 this specific bug is not the point of this reply.)
14
15 ATI doesn't support Gentoo, btw. Only Ubuntu, openSUSE and some other
16 high-profile distros are "supported." In quotes because it's broken
17 even on those ;)