From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to stop X
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 23:34:17
1 On 07/06/2009 03:41 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Paul
3 > Hartman<paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Kevin O'Gorman<kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Paul
6 >>> Hartman<paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Kevin O'Gorman<kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>>>> I'm having trouble configuring X, and to save time I'd like to be able
9 >>>>> to shut it down, edit some stuff, and start it up again.
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> What is the gentoo way to do that?
12 >>>>
13 >>>> It depends on how you started X in the first place. If you did a
14 >>>> "startx" (or similar), logging out should be all you need to do to get
15 >>>> out of X. If you use a login manager, XDM/GDM/KDM then it'll restart
16 >>>> itself so you'll need to switch to a VT (ctrl-alt-F1) and then sudo
17 >>>> /etc/init.d/xdm stop to shut down XDM (and therefore X). You can then
18 >>>> rmmod your video drivers or do whatever changes you want to do. sudo
19 >>>> /etc/init.d/xdm start to bring it back up.
20 >>>>
21 >>>>
22 >>>
23 >>> Several of you suggested "/etc/init.d/xdm start" or so to get it
24 >>> (re)started. It doesn't work. Instead the start-stop daemon
25 >>> complains of not being able to stat "/usr/bin/xdm" which doesn't
26 >>> exist. And no I didn't mispell it. I've never seen this before an
27 >>> I'm baffled.
28 >>
29 >> Hi,
30 >>
31 >> You haven't told us how you start X, which I think would make it
32 >> easier to determine how to stop it. Maybe you don't use XDM at all, in
33 >> which case the above suggestion wouldn't have any relevance to your
34 >> situation.
38 > I haven't told you because I don't know. I do know that I was using
39 > KDE when I still had X. But I set that up over 5 years ago and I've
40 > forgotten all the details. But there's no sign of *dm in /etc/init.d,
41 > other than xdm,..
42
43 There are the 'big three' display managers, xdm, gdm(gnome), and kdm(kde)
44 which all do the same job, i.e. asking for your user name and password.
45
46 All three of them are X applications and therefore they start the X
47 server before they can appear on your screen.
48
49 Before your troubles started, what did you see when your machine boots
50 up. Does it ask your username on an ordinary black-and-white console,
51 like a teletype, or on a fancy graphics screen with sexy eye-candy so
52 as to seduce unsuspecting MacBook users?