From: Richard Bradfield <bradfier@×××××.me>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: btrfs raid 5/6
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 07:55:32
1 On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 06:35:10PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 6:28 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I don’t really care about performance. It’s a simple media archive powered
5 >> by the cheapest Haswell Celeron I could get (with 16 Gigs of ECC RAM though
6 >> ^^). Sorry if I more or less stole the thread, but this is almost the same
7 >> topic. I could use a nudge in either direction. My workplace’s storage
8 >> comprises many 2× mirrors, but I am not a company and I am capped at four
9 >> bays.
10 >>
11 >> So, Do you have any input for me before I fetch the dice?
14 >IMO the cost savings for parity RAID trumps everything unless money
15 >just isn't a factor.
16 >
17 >Now, with ZFS it is frustrating because arrays are relatively
18 >inflexible when it comes to expansion, though that applies to all
19 >types of arrays. That is one major advantage of btrfs (and mdadm) over
20 >zfs. I hear they're working on that, but in general there are a lot
21 >of things in zfs that are more static compared to btrfs.
22 >
23 >--
24 >Rich
27 When planning for ZFS pools, at least for home use, it's worth thinking
28 about your usage pattern, and if you'll need to expand the pool before
29 the lifetime of the drives rolls around.
30
31 I incorporated ZFS' expansion inflexibility into my planned
32 maintenance/servicing budget. I started out with 4x 2TB disks, limited
33 to those 4 bays as you are, but planned to replace those drives after a
34 period of 3-4 years.
35
36 By the time the first of my drives began to show SMART errors, the price
37 of a 3TB drive had dropped to what I had paid for the 2TB models, so I
38 bought another set and did a rolling upgrade, bringing the pool up to
39 6TB.
40
41 I expect I'll do the same thing late next year, I wonder if 4TB will be
42 the sweet spot, or if I might be able to get something larger.
45 Richard