From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mpd issues
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 15:35:00
1 On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Maxim Wexler<maxim.wexler@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > This is too baffling to get my head around, I hope someone can explain it to me:
5 >
6 > mpd is set to run in the default level but if you want to update the
7 > database mpd must first be stopped! Then to top it off, it doesn't
8 > have to be restarted to run the client, ncmpcpp in my case.
9 >
10 > So what does mpd do if it's not required for these two essential tasks?
11 >
12 > Maxim
16 Firstly, to update the database directly, using the daemon's command
17 line options themselves, yes you need to restart it. The same, as has
18 been mentioned by others, is not true when updating the database
19 through a client. Clients don't manipulate *any* of MPDs system
20 directly, they all do so through the server/client set of commands it
21 provides (which includes the ability to update the database for a
22 running daemon). The clients also don't require a running server
23 process on the local system to run for the simple fact that it's a
24 server/client system and the server does not have to be local. To be
25 of any use, however, the clients have to be connected to a running MPD
26 server *somewhere*. Clients don't themselves play music or anything
27 else, they merely send commands to the daemon that, then, carries out
28 those commands.
31 Poison [BLX]
32 Joshua M. Murphy