From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Compare two Gentoo machines - please help
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 15:54:15
1 On Tuesday 17 May 2011 15:42:35 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have two (nearly) identical machines, both running ~amd64 Gentoo up-
5 > to-date and with a (nearly) identical set of installed packages.
6 >
7 > Still, on one of these machines KDE crashes with that infamous polkit-
8 > kde-authentication-agent-1 segmentation fault.
9 >
10 > On the other machine there is no problem.
11 >
12 > How can one smartly compare two Gentoo installations.
13 >
14 > Currently I would have to produce an md5sum of all files in
15 > /etc /usr /var and / and compare these. But there are dozens of
16 > thousands of files in these directories.
19 won't work. Even if the binaries in /usr are compiled with the same settings,
20 just the different times of creation will result in different md5sums.
21
22 What you want to do is: find the bug.