From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 20:39:47
1 On 23 April 2013 11:40, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I recently got a new Dell "desktop PC" at home, and ran Windows for a
3 > while to make sure nothing is broken. Now I'm getting ready to
4 > partition and reformat for a Gentoo install. My understanding is that
5 > BTRFS and EXT4 are still a bit "bleeding edge". I've used ReiserFS3 for
6 > years with no problems, but I keep hearing horror stories about it.
7 > This will be my biggest main hard drive yet (1 terabyte), so I'm
8 > considering EXT3 for the main partition. Comments?
9
10 I too have been using ReiserFS for years without problems. It must
11 have gotten close to 10 years. This is with power failures every
12 couple of months and of course the occasional PEBKAC.
13
14 Whenever I needed to install something on a VM I would try some other
15 filesystem. Usually Ext3 as that was supposed to be really good. It
16 never worked well for me, I would always run out of inodes. AFAIK,
17 Ext4 does not have dynamic inode allocation either. For me, that means
18 they don't make the short list.
19
20 Still, ReiserFS is showing its age and I do get the impression that
21 it's not getting much dev love any more. So when I needed to install a
22 new machine, I looked around and settled on JFS. This box has been
23 running for about half a year now (so that includes several power
24 failures) without any problems. I certainly am very pleased with JFS
25 so perhaps you might want to consider it.