From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update problems
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 19:36:07
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 9:51 AM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >> |
5 >> | (dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1:0/1.56.0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
6 >> | (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)
7 >> |
8 >> | (dev-libs/boost-1.55.0-r2:0/1.55.0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
9 >> | dev-libs/boost:0/1.55.0= required by (dev-libs/librevenge-0.0.2:0/0::gentoo, installed)
10 >> | ^^^^^^^^^^
11 >> | (and 2 more with the same problem)
12 >> |
13 >>> (I wrote the below)
14 >>> that doesn't work just try running emerge -1 on the packages that are
15 >>> causing the block by depending on the older package version?
16 >>
17 >> I suppose the newer versions of the packages are the ones that are
18 >> causing the blocks. You could argue that other versions of packages are
19 >> causing the blocks, but I would argue that there weren't any blocks
20 >> before the newer versions of the packages were available, hence the
21 >> newer versions obviously cause the blocks. That is to say that I'm
22 >> unsure which packages you're referring to as those causing the blocks.
23 >
24 > Apologies if it was a bit unclear.
25
26 np :)
27
28 > In this example, I'd run emerge -1 =dev-libs/librevenge-0.0.2
29 >
30 > You also need to run it on the "2 more with the same problem" but we
31 > don't know what those are. Adding --verbose might help. It should be
32 > safe to run emerge -1 on anything you already have installed. If this
33 > is a dynamic deps issue then emerge -1 pkg will probably help.
34 >
35 > Either way, after trying that can you post the output of this:
36 >
37 > emerge -j 8 -p --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y --backtrack=500
38 > --verbose --tree @world
39 >
40 > That will show you what is pulling in updates to what. I'm interested
41 > in the entire output of emerge, not just the parts you think are most
42 > relevant - feel free to attach a file containing it.
43
44 Well, what I did was basically:
47 emerge -a --changed-deps=y @world
48 emerge -j 8 -a --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y --backtrack=100 @world
49 [fix USE flag]
50 emerge -j 8 -a --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y --backtrack=100 @world
51 [remove nvidia-settings]
52 emerge -j 8 -a --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y --backtrack=100 @world
53 emerge @preserved-rebuild
56 That took about 2 hours to update 233 packages. Then I made the new
57 kernel and found that for unknown reasons, without warning, the zfs
58 startup scripts were disabled (very bad idea ...). Today I updated the
59 LXC guest and went over the kernel settings and managed to get my
60 trackball not to work anymore, then took quite a while to figure out
61 what was missing (it needs a HID driver which, for unknown reasons, got
62 disabled ...).
63
64 So after two days, I finally got seamonkey 2.35 (and a cleaned-up
65 kernel) ... and I wonder why libreoffice hasn't been updated. Not that
66 it matters, but why not?
70 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
71 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.