From: Raphael Melo de Oliveira Bastos Sales <raphael.melo21@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing how secure a server is...
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:38:29
1 First of all, thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciate
2 the help. I'll be testing snort, since it was the most mentioned one.
3
4 I'm also going to test bastille. Had a problem emerging psad, one of
5 its dependencies. I'll send the error message later.
6
7 I made all the tests with nmap to check if the firewall was working
8 OK, the results took more from 90 to 150 minutes. And it actually said
9 that my Gentoo Server was a Longhorn beta machine and that the SSH
10 service was an HTTP proxy. I assume that is a good thing. Not only the
11 attacker would have to be very patient, but also the results would be
12 confusing. Besides, since it is not replying to ping, some people
13 would actually think that the host is down and ignore it.
14
15 I used Authforce to test if it would be easy to brute force HTTP
16 authentication. It replied that it didn't find any passwords. Again, a
17 good thing.
18
19 About the Honey Pot. I'll read about it later. My top priority is to
20 have a good IDS running. ;)
21
22 I need to get all the arguments I can, or else my department's chief
23 I'll force me to migrate my Web Application to Java + Corba, and I
24 don't want to do that.
25
26 He claims that if someone invades my machine, it will have direct
27 access to all data. That I have to distribute the database, put it in
28 another machine and have the web application access that database over
29 the network. I feel this is a bit overkill. Not only it would force
30 the data travel through the network, slowing it down, but would also
31 increase the complexity of the security layout, forcing to make the
32 two machines very secure, unstead of just one of them. Besides, I
33 might be wrong, but I feel that a Local Socket is faster and safer
34 than Corba trasmitting data over the internal network.
35
36 If anybody has any comments, I'd be more than happy to hear it.
37