From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New HD monitor stretches everything. How to teach Xorg?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 20:57:03
1 On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Håkon Alstadheim
2 <hakon@×××××××××××××××.no>wrote:
3
4 > Den 24. aug. 2010 04:27, skrev Kevin O'Gorman:
5 >
6 > I had to replace an 4:3 Westinghouse monitor this weekend. I got a new
7 >> ASUS VH242H, which is very wide. But Xorg is still running 1280x1024,
8 >> instead of the monitor's normal 1920x1080, according to xorg logs because of
9 >> lack of video memory (using the ATI on the motherboard). I can make the
10 >> screen use a 4:3 aspect ratio, so I'm up and running, much better than I
11 >> started, but I'd like to do better.
12 >>
13 >> I guess I've gotta look for a video card, but all I have is PCIX slots, so
14 >> I don't want to put a lot of money into it (I'll be upgrading the mobo when
15 >> finances permit -- which is not right now.)
18 > Just did a cursory read of the entire thread here. I notice the card is on
19 > the mobo, did you try to see if there is a BIOS setting to increase the
20 > amount of video RAM? I.e enter BIOS setup during boot, and look around in
21 > the chip setup.
24 Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Be right back.
28 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD