From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] video display problem
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 02:57:32
1 On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 08:22:39AM -0500, Bruce Hill wrote
2 > Last night my laptop began having two problems.
3 >
4 > First, when I paste with middle-click of the mouse into Firefox, there is no
5 > output on the screen for about 2-3 seconds. In Libreoffice it takes about
6 > 7-8s, and then the mouse cursor doesn't change from the I-beam back to the
7 > pointer for another 2s or so. Pasting into urvxt seems instantaneous, although
8 > last night I did have some issues with a tab or urxvt where I had ssh'ed into
9 > a server running irssi in screen -- the backspace key seemed to be stuck, but
10 > that stopped after I did a ^A^D and then "screen -dx 17169.pts-3.server".
11
12 Run a "top" session, and see what's eating cpu/memory.
13
14 > Second, there is an image from Workspace 1 showing up on top of the app
15 > running in Workspace 2.
16
17 Are you running an Nvidia video card with their proprietary driver?
18 Youtube, even static/paused Youtube images would cause that on such a
19 setup I once had.
22 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
23 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications