From: Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and addons no longer supported question
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 10:17:52
1 On 31 March 2018 at 10:18, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Exceptions are only certain well-defined APIs which will presumably
3 > not change dramatically in future versions.
4 > For instance, there is a tab API, but essentially it is limited
5 > to basic things like searching/activating/closing/opening tabs etc:
6 > https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Working_with_the_Tabs_API
7 > So no WebExtension will ever be able to offer tab functionality which
8 > goes beyond that.
9
10 Take a look at their bugzilla for bugs tracking a lot of new
11 functionality in the extension APIs that will come in future releases.
12 Especially around tabs, as many popular extensions did stuff with
13 tabs.
14
15 Personally I upgraded despite losing some stuff, but I think most of
16 it will return in some form at some point.