From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to install from ISO without burning it
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 12:58:10
1 On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've been looking around for a way to install gentoo just by plopping
3 > an ISO into a known partition,.
4 >
5 > I'm not getting much from google on this search string:
6 >   install gentoo directly from iso.  Or I should say:
7 >
8 > I've found a couple of how toos but they involve quite a lot of mumbo
9 > jumbo like this one:
10 >
11 > http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2011/06/boot-livecd-iso-image-from-hdd/305
12 >
13 > I can follow that alright but first wanted to make sure there
14 > is not a well established mainstream way of doing it.
15
16 Apparenly ISOLINUX is in a family of very similar bootloaders, and
17 someone made reference to a disk version of it last week or the week
18 before.
19
20 However, it might be possible to replace ISOLINUX on the live DVD with
21 the family's disk equivalent*, and have your normal bootloader chain
22 load it?
23
24 I'm missing a lot of detail here; perhaps someone else remembers or knows more.
27 * surely there's a script somewhere that automates that.
31 :wq