From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Installing outside of Portage & cruft removal
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:09:24
1 Am Montag, 16. Februar 2009 21:54:51 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
2
3 > It's up the application to decide how to use prefix variable.  Most
4 > applications are respecting it.
5
6 Up to now, I didn't find one that doesn't. And if so, it'll receive a bug
7 report right away.
8
9 > But you make it sound like it's
10 > impossible to not respect it, which is not true.
11
12 Well, if you don't, your package won't be spread widely until you've fixed it.
13 You'll always find people who install sw as unprivileged user. If they can't
14 install a package, they file a bug. Even some package managers build and
15 install sw to a temporary directory as an unprivileged user to avoid messing
16 up the system.
17
18 > I can write automake
19 > rules which completely ignore prefix.
20
21 Which in the end means the unprivileged user can't install your package. And
22 even as root, I wouldn't. Nobody does this. It's a hipothetical case.
23
24 Bye...
25
26 Dirk